Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Crazy in the Same Way

It's the end of a long day and I'm riding the up escalator in the subway station. I spot someone else riding the down escalator. She's busy fiddling with something. I look a bit closer and realise that this woman is crocheting. Crocheting on the escalator! I can't stop looking. I have a hard enough time knitting when I'm sitting down, let alone standing. On stairs. That are MOVING.

I'm in awe.

I flat out stare at her, momentarily forgetting that it's actually kind of rude. In typical, suspicious Big City fashion, she glares at me. I feel suddenly ashamed and start to look away, but instead I glance at her project.

It's a great project, some kind of lace pattern, really pretty. A smile spreads across my face. And that's when she GETS IT. Our eyes lock and she grins back at me. I was suddenly reminded of how motorcyclists often wave as they pass, even if they don't know one another.

Before that smile? She thought I was a random crazy person. After the smile? Random crazy yarn enthusiast!

'Hey! Look at that! We're crazy in the SAME WAY!'

Welcome to the Sisterhood of Hooks and Needles.

1 comment:

  1. Hi how are you?

    I was looking through your blog, and I found it interesting, and inspiring to me, so I thought why not leave you a comment.

    I too have a blog that I use out of Southern California here in San Diego.

    Mostly it's a collection of artistic expression, and I have many friends with the same interests, maybe you can become my friend, and follow, and I can also follow you, if that is okay.

    Well I hope to hear from you soon, and or read about you….LOL

    Sincerely,
    Jesse

    ReplyDelete