Sunday, November 18, 2012

A knitting adventure

Yesterday was my big knitting shop adventure. Two knitting shops, $50 worth of yarn, an afternoon of knitting with strangers and one run-in with a friend of 14 years who I hadn't seen in at least five.

It's true that knitters gather in these shops to knit and chat, but for the most part, these groups feel like closed circles. I got that vibe at the Knit Cafe, even though I sat down and knitted for awhile (at a seperate table from the others - the 'knitters table' practically had a force-field around it). It didn't matter anyway - that shop's not local to me. I bought some really gorgeous pinkish-orange wool (not Malabrigo, but a nearly identical wool called Manos) and caught the streetcar east.

I rode north to Mirvish Village to check out EweKnit. This is the shop I stumbled across online - they just opened back in August. It's a gorgeous shop and since it *is* my local, I figured I should find courage and sit down with the group knitting there and I did. I stayed for a couple hours.

The owner, Claudia, was lovely and welcoming and made me some tea. I did feel a *bit* like an imposter, but knitting helps me calm down in general - social lubricant - so I was able to overcome my natural shyness.

Later on, a woman came in, sat next to me. I had my eyes on my knitting, but I chatted with her about some baby hats she had knitted and suddenly she turned to me and said my name - I looked up and realised that I had been chatting with a longtime friend who I hadn't seen in years!

I stayed until 6 - closing. At that point, I was literally binding off on my sock and I finished it before I supper. One week, one sock! I'm starting the second one today and I bought red Indigodragonfly wool for my next sock.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment