Monday, November 26, 2012

My Janome SUV 1122




Well, I did exactly what I swore I *wasn't* going to do yesterday: I bought a sewing machine.

After I taught my noon class, I had an itch to 'go on an adventure' so I rode out to Victoria Park station to the 'Sewing World' store.
At first glance, it looked like a hole-in-the-wall sort of place. I was hovering near the door when the store owner spotted me and called out an cheerful greeting. That was Teresa and boy, can that woman sell sewing machines! I'm glad I completed all of my research up front because it would have been easy to get swept up in her sales pitch, about 90% of which was lost on me but 100% reflected a genuine enthusiasm for sewing and for Janome machines.

I knew what I was looking for. I told her: 'Entry level machine, Janome, $200-$300 range.' She had none of the compact budget models I was considering (sorry, no 'Hello Kitty' Janome for me) and I had already ruled out the 625E as 'out of my price range'. She showed me two entry level mechanical machines. The SUV 1108 was on my short list, but the 1122 was on sale for $299. The store was entirely sold out of that model but she had 12 shipping the following week.

I had a feeling that if I waited until December, I'd be battling it out with the holiday shopping crowd. Teresa left me to my iPad for a few minutes and I did some investigation. The SUV 1122 is only sold in Canada and there were few reviews available for it. The three reviews I did find were very positive, though. I also found the 1122 for sale second-hand on Kijiji. The seller paid $700 new in the spring of this year and was offering it used for $350. I noticed a few other used machines in the $300 price range.

I have to admit, though, the clincher was the free lessons. Teresa's shop is a bit like the Apple Store - free lessons are offered by appointment (one-on-one), on the machine you've purchased. Basically, she makes sure that you're at ease using every feature of the machine. Given that lessons might cost me $160-$250, this is a good deal.

The downside: This is *not* a compact machine. It's full-size. But it's a solid entry level machine. I doubt I'd ever want to upgrade. I just need to figure out a place to store the thing!

So, I took the dive. I bought the SUV 1122. It will probably come in on Tuesday, but I'll wait to pick it up on next weekend. I'm already thinking of all the things I can make with my new sewing machine!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

7 comments:

  1. Hi, I am considering also buying an 1122 - could you say how this machine worked out for you, having owned it a few months now?? Would you recommend it over the 1108?

    thanks!
    -Beginning sewer in Kingston

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the machine and I would definitely recommend it over the 1108 if you can get a good price. The 1122s appear to be in 'close out' right now, so many stores are selling them at a signfiicant discount - shop around! Also, check Kijiji and Craigslist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello!
    I am wondering how you are liking this machine now that you've had it for a couple of months? I am considering purchasing one to replace my ancient, malfunctioning Kenmore. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nita. I've had the machine for a year and I love it! It's reliable and easy to use. Not heavy on the bells and whistles, but it does everything I need it to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bought material for an elegant formal dress to wear on a cruise leaving in 1 week. My 20 year old sewing machine decided it was not sewing for me. Out the door I flew swearing and cleaning snow off my car. The repair shop was only two blocks from home and I braved it sliding several times as I drove. For a moment I thought I would drive to Sears and pick up a cheap Kenmore. When I reached the store I begged for help. She was able to sew a beautiful seam. Frustrated I threw up my arms in frustration. Sh said that after 20 years it could b temperamental. Now I was going mental! I glibbly said that I should by a new one. Welllll.... out the door I went carrying a reasonably priced new sewing machine and a free hour of sewing tutorial. Janome is a name that resinated with me because I could never afford or wanted to pay the price.I loved it as soon as I saw it.Sold and I got a trade in value for my old clunker. I laughed and walked into the house with a very light weight box. My husband looked at me and shook his head. Then off he went to a hockey game. Now I need to get myself acquainted with my new friend. All I need now is to sew the dress, pack and ship ahoy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So happy to see happy sewers! I've been researching Janomes. I want to replace my 37 yo Memory 7 - one of Janomes earlier computer models. My mother taught me to use her Singer when I was 4. I will be 70 soon. Knowing how to sew has always been an important part of my life. A few years ago I discovered Pattern Review website. Great place. Check it out. Go Janome

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am delighted to hear from a fellow child sewer. My mom taught me to sew buttons when I was 4. She had a large wooden sewing box with hundreds of assorted buttons that she had collected up over the years. She cut a square of fabric and I sewed the buttons in rows. When I had finished one square she gave me a new one. The end result was that I sewed every button in her sewing box onto squares of fabric. When I was 9 I taught myself to use her old manual Singer sewing machine and did all the mending for our family of seven as well as making new clothes. Mother didn't have too much experience making things so I learned from the dress patterns. When I got married at age 25 I bought a Morse electric machine with an open arm. I sewed everything from a waterproof tent fly to a canoe cover without a pattern. I also made countless Hallowe'en costumes and even graduation gowns for my 2 daughters. Last year I bought a Janome SUV 1122 for sewing ballet tutus for a local dance school. I love my new machine and the buttonholes are so easy to make. You actually place the button inside the buttonhole foot, and it uses that to determine what size to make the buttonhole. Amazing! The point of my telling this story is that I have never had a sewing lesson in my life!

      Delete