Thursday, November 29, 2012

Fuzzy Blue Sock




Over the weekend, I cast on the red Indigodragonfly fingering wool for a pair of classic toe-up socks, using Kate's pattern. I've been knitting steadily on on the first sock and today, I realised that I already had 5.75 inches in the foot. I was ready for the heel! But there's a problem: I can't really turn a heel while scooting around on public transit, which is what my Wednesdays are like. I usually try to spend a couple of hours working the heel quietly at home to avoid catastrophic mistakes.

So I decided to reach into my stash and retrieve that blue, fuzzy, wool and start another sock. Based on past experience (at least 20 tries to get that red sock going), I figured it would take me at least and hour to get a cast-on I was happy with. Imagine my surprise when I cast on and started knitting and 20 minutes later, I was well into the increases. This is a Happy Sock! And it's still happy - in fact, I finished the increases last night on the subway and I'm into the foot now.

I'm using the Brittany birch DPNs I bought a couple years ago. I'm finding them lovely to knit with so far, though they're a bit shorter than I'm used to. I transferred the 'long needle' of this project onto two needles and just marked that side for later reference. I may keep this configuration through the heel.

And the wool? It's wonderful! It's a deep, dark blue with dark pink fuzzy bits. I don't know if these socks will hold up for regular use (it's 100% alpaca), but these will be wonderful warm socks to jazz around the apartment in on snowy days.

And here's the answer to my sock conundrum. I just need to have a couple of socks on the go at various stages of construction so I'll always have something easy to knit on the subway. Or at the dental hygienist - that was truly the driving factor in this case. I hate to sit in that chair with nothing to do.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment