Friday, November 16, 2012

I have a sock!

I have a sock! Yesterday, with a few bloopers here and there, I managed to get through the heel. By evening, I was back to knitting even rounds and there are plenty to be knit - 6 inches from that point, confirmed by an email to Kate (I wrote to ask from what point the 'leg' is measured from).

The email was fun! I had took a photo of my sock and created an illustrated diagram of my request, with arrows pointing to possible starting points for the leg measurement. I gave the sock a smiley face and, as an afterthought, added a talk balloon. Kate thought it was hilarious, replied "Happy sock is happy!" lol!


There were a few problems with the heel, but I muddled through. The biggest problem was losing one of my heel gusset stitches. If I dropped it, I can't figure out where (I checked the sofa cushions). I ended up picking up a bar and twisting it to make a stitch. Inelegant, to be sure, but it apparently worked. Actually, it wasn't the obvious mistakes that showed up, but the ones I didn't even know about.

Anway, it's a sock. It looks like a sock, feels like a sock when I put it on. And everything is easy from here on out. In fact, I'm pretty sure the second sock will be easy-er, since I've finished one already.

Last week, I picked up some longer stainless steel Hiya Hiya needles which are a joy to knit with, much easier than bamboo! I'm a convert! The big problem with this sock and the bamboo needles is that they're too short and I kept losing stitches off the ends. Lesson learned: long DPNs are better.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment