Friday, November 23, 2012

Sew much to think about

This morning, I spent an hour with one of my private yoga students, teaching her to knit. It was hard!!! I'm good at teaching yoga, but knitting is something entirely different. I taught her the slingshot cast on and then the knit stitch and purl stitch. Her homework is to practice those and by the end of next week, cast on 81 stitches for a hat!

I'm starting to feel excited about Christmas. This year, my mother is buying me a entry level sewing machine. I've been internet researching different brands of machines. According to one forum, nearly all machines are now made by Janome, so the brand doesn't particularly matter. I have a short list of Janome entry level machines. I'm aiming to spend between $200 and $300.

Someone in a forum recommended a vintage machine if you want something durable and reliable. It's kind of a shame - my grandmother willed me her vintage Singer sewing machine, but it's a HUGE machine in a big cabinet. I don't think it would fit in my city apartment. It's still sitting in my uncle's house in Ohio ten years after her death. If I really get into sewing, it might be worth the drive down.

I'm already thinking about fabric to learn on and what my first few projects will be. I don't want to buy this thing and then see it collect dust because I don't use it. I'd like to learn how to sew eye pillows and KIP (Knitting In Public project bags). They're $30 on Etsy. I'm sure I could sew them for less. I'd like to figure out the construction of my favourite 'Bandha Bag' that I use to carry my knitting and sew up something similar.

In other words, I want to take this seriously, be ready to dive in when I finally buy it. I briefly considered what it would be like to buy it *now*, as in 'today', but the truth is, I'm enjoying the process of researching the machine and reading about sewing and looking forward to the purchase.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment