Sunday, December 2, 2012

Socks from the top down




The top-down sock class was illuminating. Last month, there were three knitters in the toe-up class and none of us had knit socks before. We struggled to complete our mini toe-up sock in the three hours alloted and it was very tough going. Kate, the instructor, mentioned as an aside that she usually recommends the top-down sock class, rather than the toe-up, as a starting point. Now I understand why: top-down socks are easier, much easier.

Aside from me, one other person (I'll call her 'Violet') from last month's toe-up class returned for the top-down class. We compared notes on our toe-up worsted weight socks. Violet had completed one sock and cast on for a second. I had finished the pair. We had both struggled a bit with the technique.

I'll be honest: I was all prepared to hate top-down socks. Mainly because of the close of the toe. In a top-down sock, you decrease to a few stitches then cinch the yarn through similar to the close of a hat. I thought it would look goofy and I thought I preferred the flat edge of the toe-up sock. But looking at the socks that Kate brought along to show us, the toes didn't look bad and everything else about the top-down socks looked a bit tighter and tidier.

And then we started knitting. Throughout the top-down class, Violet and I exchanged amazed glances and exclaimations like "What?! That's all?! The heel is done?! Just like that?!" We were gobsmacked. The group (there were five of us for this top-down class) finished our mini socks a little over two hours, with very little fuss or trauma.

After the ease of the top-down training sock, Violet was ready to go home and frog her second toe-up sock in favour of the top-down method. I have to admit, I did the same with my blue fuzzy sock (I wasn't very far along). I'm putting my red Indigodragonfly sock aside for now (I'm up to the heel on that one). Kate thinks it's a tad too big for me so it might make sense to frog it, given that I'm only a quarter way through the pair.

I had a few questions for Kate. I was curious how long it takes her to knit up one sock (about six hours) and what her favourite method was (top-down).

I'm not prepared to declare my affiliation quite yet, but it's entirely possible that I may be a top-down sock knitter. I cast on for a top-down worsted weight sock today - this time in orange. Since these are destined to be bedsocks, I chose colours that would match my PJs!

I have to admit, the best part about the top-down socks (besides their ease) may be the fact that you get the horrible, interminable ribbing out of the way at the beginning. And the best part about taking a toe-up sock class first is you get a huge amount of perspective on just how easy knitting a sock can be. At least I hope so - I'll keep you posted.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment