Sunday, December 16, 2012

Juicy Orange Socks




I'm still learning exactly what my abilities are around watching a DVD and knitting at the same time. I had to frog the toe decreases on Orange Sock #2 because I borked it. Once I was back to a good re-starting point, I turned off the DVD for every decrease round so I could give it my full attention. Then I turned it back on for the even rounds.

This strategy worked - I finished the sock! I was happy to finish it up so I could wear the pair. These are bedsocks, to be worn with my funky pink-and-orange pyjama bottoms. They look great! Having now knit both toe-up and top-down and I can definitively say that I prefer the top-down technique. The fit is SO much better. For some reason, the toe-up sock was too large for me, even knit in the same size (Women's M, according to the pattern).


That said, I think I would like to learn the Kitchener Stitch or a similar grafting technique for the toes of my socks. Because I have wider feet, a pointy toe isn't comfortable for me and I think my socks will wear better with a blunter toe. I bookmarked a few good tutorials for this and I'll try it with my current sock project, the Festive Red Socks.

I started two new projects yesterday. I'm knitting up another 'Cabled Tea Cozy' because the one I made last week doesn't fit the cups at the cafe I frequent (the cozy was too big). I saved a paper cup from the cafe and I'll fit this cozy to the cup.

I also started the black leg warmers I bought yarn for last week. I've started the cuff ribbing and I have a few more inches to go on that. I'll need to pick up another set of DPNs because this project uses smaller DPNs for the body of the legwarmer.

I considered switching to a 'Magic Loop' technique for this project, given that I have an interchangeable needle set now. This morning, I sat down and taught myself Magic Loop using online videos and tutorials. Although I like the concept in theory, in practice, I find it awkward and fiddly. Also, I knit fairly tightly and I found it hard to move the stitches around on those needles. Maybe I'm doing it wrong - it might make sense to take a class on this so I can learn the method properly. So, for now, I'm sticking with my DPNs.

I'm absolutely *loving* the Berroco Vintage yarn that I'm using for the legwarmers. It has a nice feel and holds together well. To be perfectly honest, I also love the price point. I can knit up a pair of legwarmers for $18. Often, I find that it's more expensive to knit a garmet than buy it. In this case, it's the opposite - I paid $30 for my Roots legwarmers and they're inferior quality compared to what I'm knitting with right now.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment