Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Knitting in a Handbasket




After reading the legwarmer pattern more carefully, I realised that I need *two* different sets of DPNs for that project. The cuff is knit with with the smaller DPNs, the body of the legwarmer with the larger. Apparently, this is a 'thing' - mittens are knit the same way.

After lunch, I caught a streetcar down to LK to pick up the DPNs I needed. The store was pretty busy. I settled onto a sofa with the owner's three little dogs and I knit there for over an hour. It was fun to watch the bustle of the store as I knit.

I chatted with the shop owner for awhile. She seemed curious about how I had appeared seemingly of nowhere, already familiar with her shop (she bought the shop last summer) and the knitting scene - she clearly assumed that I had 'been away'. I gave her an abbreviated description of my years of intense yoga practice that left time for nothing else, the shoulder injury and my renewed efforts to 'get back into my hobbies'.

I explained my yoga practice is intense. She wasn't surprised, said that I struck her as a 'Type A' personality. And *this* surprised me because she really doesn't know me that well. Do I come across that way to a casual observer? Am I a 'Type A' knitter? Is there such a thing?

Around closing, I paid for my DPNs and headed home. I *didn't* buy yarn! I'm finally taking my 'yarn hiatus' seriously! Especially sock yarn - I have enough to last me for several months at least.

I'm acquiring a nice little collection of these stainless steel DPNs. For now, I'm keeping them in my interchangeable circular case. Looking through them, I realised that I now own all the DPNs necessary for the 'Mittens Bootcamp' class I'm taking this Thursday

On Monday night, I walked over to Mirvish Village and stopped in at EK to buy one of those row-counter-thingies. I already have one, but I could use a second. I bought the green counter that you string on a cord to put around your neck. It's great, actually - much better than my red one. The green counter even has a lock.

I also stopped in at the home decor outlet and picked up two baskets lined with embroidered cotton. They're meant to be wastebaskets, but they work fine as storage receptacles for crafting supplies, which is what I bought them for. One basket holds my current knitting projects (my actual stash is in a plastic storage bin) and the other holds my sewing supplies. Everything is much better organised now!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment