Thursday, December 20, 2012

My Gangsta Name is Serena




The LK holiday 'Knit Night' (I like that name so much better than 'Stitch 'n Bitch') was last night. I showed up close to 7 and the party was already in full swing.

I brought hummus and crackers to share, but OMG, the desserts. Pretty much everyone had bought desserts. I wisely ate supper beforehand because I know that unless I'm going to a vegan-gluten-free-crunchy-hippy-party, it's a good bet that I won't be able to eat the food on offer. I ended up munching on my own hummus with rice crackers and casting a longing eye towards the desserts.

I'm shy at regular parties. Turns, out, I'm shy at knitting parties too! Except, at a knitting party, I'm allowed to *knit*, a far better option than standing around with a cocktail glass full of cranberry juice cocktail.

I sat tucked away in a corner near the table. The woman who was sitting there introduced herself and I enjoyed watching her sew on a project (Yes, sew! Not everyone was knitting!) She was sewing a Christmas stocking for her mother with a design constructed of felt and sequins and beads. The kit was only $15! She put in hours of work into constructing it, though.

There was a raffle. I usually don't go for raffles because I have terrible luck, but it was for charity - a local food bank - and the prizes (Yarn! Books! Patterns!) were alluring, so I bought six tickets. A woman sitting to my left, named Serena, bought 18 tickets.

I figured she'd probably win something and she did she ever! It was hilarious! The raffle started and Serena was winning prize after prize after prize. A few people who didn't want their prizes put them back into the draw and Serena won them! When someone put their newly won copy of 'Stitch and Bitch' back in, it was reraffled and the winner was...*drumroll*...Serena! I was having trouble hiding my mirth. It was just SO funny.

Of course, I didn't win a thing. And this is why I don't buy lottery tickets. ;-)

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment