Wednesday, December 5, 2012

My Big Fabric Store Adventure

Yesterday morning, I headed down to King Textiles on the Spadina Streetcar for my Big Fabric Store adventure.

I really like this store - it's organised very logically and I was quickly able to find what I needed. The woman who helped me was wonderful - helpful without being intrusive and genuinely enthusiastic about my projects and fabric choices. It felt like shopping with a friend.

I picked out three crazy colourful cotton prints and three cotton solids in complimentary shades. I also bought some plain white cotton to experiment with. The fabrics ranged from $5-$7 per yard. I bought 3/4 yards of everything.

When I got home, I whipped out out my machine and had sewed up a complete eye pillow in less than 45 minutes! I even transferred the flax seed from my old eye pillow to the new one. It's looks great! Very colourful.



There was one line of stitching that was a bit crooked, but I'm still learning to 'steer' the fabric as I sew it. Also, I don't have any proper sewing equipment. I may need to use Christmas money to pick up a good pair of scissors, some pins, a pin cushion etc. I checked out six sewing books from the library. One of them has a list of recommended tools I can reference.

I started to work on the bags, but my brain was beginning to fizzle. I think I need to sew up a prototype first because they're far more complicated than the eye pillows.

I knitted a bit in the afternoon and by the time I headed out to teach my evening classes, I was working on the heel flap! I finished it by the time I got home, so I settled in with a hot cup of tea to work on turning the heel and decreasing the gusset.

It was all very straightforward and took me a little over 90 minutes to complete. I'm already on the foot, back to knitting even! By my estimation, I have about three inches to knit before I start shaping the toe. I could very well be finished with this sock before the weekend!



Before I went to sleep, I got out that red sock out and *frogged* it. I'm officially a top-down convert! I don't plan to suffer through any more wrap-and-turn and picking up wrapped stitches experiences until I'm a more skilled knitter.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment